A short break from Covey's habits... something else needs work!
Lately I have fallen into the bad habit of letting Wombat stay in his bed for anything up to an hour after he wakes up, while I finish what I am doing. I listen to him on the monitor, so I know he is not too upset. He has a big, safe bed with toys and books to look at, and although he often cries a bit when he wakes, he generally plays quietly and goes back to sleep for a bit. Even so I don't think this is a positive thing for me to be doing. I notice that he cries more often during the night and is much less cooperative during the day, whereas if I get him up as soon as he wakes up, he is so happy to see me and tries very hard to be good. This has been happening both in the mornings and his afternoon nap time and it's starting to stretch out longer and longer. The crunch point came this week when I caught myself turning off the monitor so
My new habit for this week is to respond to Wombat as soon as I know he is awake, and not to make him wait for whatever it is that I think is more important, because really, it's not. I just need to be better organised so I get the important things out of the way first, while he is soundly asleep, so I am only doing the optional, easy-to-stop things around the time I expect him to start stirring.
SMART habit progress:
- Setting Long Term Goals = needs more work
- Being Proactive = trying hard
- Declutter = succeeding beyond my wildest dreams - even Yeti is clearing out his spaces - a LONG way to go, but going to claim this as HABIT!
- My Work is to Love = most days, in intention if not always in practice
- Daily prayer = HABIT
- Positive Parenting = not reading or thinking enough... too much autopilot
- Exercise = HABIT - and starting to lose about 1/2 a kg a week... not much, but it's progress!
Visit Lara at The Lazy Organizer to join in Smart Habit Saturday - it will change your life! (Find out more about Smart Habit Saturday here: Getting Started with Smart Habit Saturday.)