Inspiration


We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.
[Marianne Williamson]



Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY (Tuesday 10 February 2009 )...

Outside My Window... rain! Blessed, gentle, soaking rain!

I am thankful for... answered prayers! The change in the weather and the chance to get the boys outside yesterday.

I am thinking... about the families in Victoria whose lives and homes have been destroyed by fire. I am so grateful we have not had any real threat here this year!

In the past (before kids) my role in our fire-fighting plans was to stay inside the house with a hose and soak the carpets and curtains, watching for sparks while Yeti battled the blaze outside.

Now, the boys are too young and MIL too old to risk their lives, so my job is to drive them to safety and care for them while Yeti stays to fight alone. He is well equipped to do so - we have the only really large water supply in the street and this year we have spent as much as we could afford on two diesel pumps and firefighting hoses.

Once upon a time everyone in the street thought the same way and would have co-ordinated their response. Now they are all city-dwellers and hobby farmers who have moved out here for a "tree-change" and they pile into their cars and leave at the first whiff of smoke. The rural fire service is tiny, staffed by volunteers and can't possibly be everywhere at once. Yeti has more than once put out small spot fires that would have blazed to major infernos if left to burn.

He is smart, resourceful and experienced but I am endlessly grateful that in the 16 years I've been here, the major bushfires have skirted around us and our plans have never been needed for more than a grass fire. As he gets older, the stress and worry of this time of year is getting worse.

Yeti is spending a lot of time studying the changing climate patterns and trying to locate our new home. We have decided we will be leaving here. The only (minor) questions are when, and where we will go. I am praying he finds the perfect solution soon (and drooling over the huge houses and beautiful properties he shows me on Domain.com lol)

From the learning room... We have been cooped up inside due to the heat so much lately, but it has given me a chance to try some new activities. This is one of them.

I gave Wombat a tray of flour, getting him used to the idea of copying letters. He had no interest in copying what I showed him, but did spent a happy hour drawing his own tracks - moving from the tray, to his own table, and then onto the floor. After a bit of persuasion, I even got him to help me sweep up afterwards!

(While this was going on, Munchkin was on a mat in the middle of the kitchen floor, learning to crawl. I didn't take any photos for you, as he was wearing even less than Wombat :P)







From the kitchen... cheese scones for Wombat, rusks for Munchkin, muesli for me.

I am wearing... purple wrap-around skirt, white top, bare feet.

I am creating... lots of origami boxes (masu) for storing phonics objects. I'll do a full post about them when they are finished.

I am going... to do lots of vacuuming today when Yeti takes Wombat shopping.

I am reading... blogs lol.

I am hoping... that the rain stays for a while!

I am hearing... the silence! I am so used to the constant buzz of the portable air conditioner we bought for the playroom, it seems strange not to have it on.

Around the house... MIL is going away for a few days so we will have the place to ourselves :D

One of my favorite things... the tea mug my nieces made me for Christmas - it holds just the right amount for a good cuppa.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week:

  • plant some sweetcorn
  • get some sleep
  • take some macro photos

Here is a picture thought I am sharing...

A contemplative Wombat, eating a pear under a gum tree...



"Mummy, tell me about the tree's blood."

This snippet of my life brought to you courtesy of the Simple Woman's Daybook. If you would like to join in too, you will find all the details here. Thanks, Peggy!

1 comment:

Steff said...

Come to victoria - please consider it and at least look at what is down here - It is the most beautiful state - i wish you could come visit some time so i could show you - Of all the places i have ever lived victoria is the most...wonderful place...still so unspoilt - still so affordable - My plan is to convince everyone to move here so I never have to go back to sydney - is that selfish :)