Inspiration


We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.
[Marianne Williamson]



Sunday, January 18, 2009

Here I am, Lord

I was talking to Yeti about my church-going dilemma, and he came up with a brilliant solution! Out of the blue, he offered to start taking us to evening mass on Saturday nights in the big church - the one with all the singing. Evening mass is less crowded and there are less disruptive children, so I have more chance of keeping Munchkin healthy and Wombat focussed, especially if we can get there early and find a seat up the front :) It is a great time of year to start making this a habit, as it is still light until about 8pm (Mass is from 6:00 - 7:00pm).

We went for the first time today. Monday is predicted to be another scorcher with extreme fire danger, so Yeti had to get the pumps on and the sprinklers going before we left. This took longer than expected, so we were about 15 minutes late - but baby steps - at least we got there! Yeti didn't come in with us this time - he hadn't had time to shower before racing out the door, so didn't feel comfortable about it. I am praying that as time goes on, he will join us.

Munchkin was perfectly behaved the whole time - awake, but lying quite still and listening like the little angel he is. Wombat, however... well, for a two-year-old, he was pretty well-behaved. I had to pick him up and hold him on my lap to get his attention, and there was a bit of arm pulling and rolling around on the floor (him, not me). For the first 20 minutes he kept saying. "It's finished now. All done. Let's go!" but he really loved the sign of peace (shaking hands with everyone in sight) and going up to communion with me was a highlight for him. I think he'll do much better next time, especially if he can see more (since we were late I sat towards the back of the church and there were too many other people to look at instead of what was going on up at the altar)!

I also had a good week enjoying my singing a new song :D For this week's hymn I am choosing one of my all time favourites - another one where I know the chorus off by heart but never remember the verses - there are lots of them, so it should be good for rocking Munchkin off to sleep. This one was actually set as the entrance hymn for today's Mass, but since we got there late, I didn't get to sing it. I'll make up for it by singing it all week!

Here I am, Lord

I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin,
My hand will save.

Chorus:
Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.


I, who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Chorus

I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people’s pain.
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.

Chorus

I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
Who will speak my words to them?
Whom shall I send?

Chorus

I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will send the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.

Chorus

Finest bread I will provide,
'Til their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send?

Chorus



If you want to sing along with me, you can listen to the music here.

1 comment:

Steff said...

glad you found something that works for you though i can say i was secretly hoping you would do the rounds of the other denominations and have a review - there are some beautiful anglican and uniting churches around me and i am often curious what the service would be like