Inspiration


We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.
[Marianne Williamson]



Friday, January 30, 2009

D is for ... decorative










This week, Tricia from The Miss Rumphius Effect proposed writing a lipogram. Basically, this is a piece of writing "that avoids one or more letters of the alphabet." It is also defined as "a work written within a constraint" (though this definition would apply to most poetic forms, would it not?) As my poetry stre-e-e-e-tch, I decided to write a reverse lipogram, in which every word of the poem had to contain the letter "d".

I liked the result. The lack of connectives made it difficult, but the two-words per line rhythm that emerged seemed to echo the erratic zip-zip-zip flight of the subject. It also challenged me to come up with new descriptions, as most of the words which first came to mind had to be discarded because they were "d-less".

In the end I had a lot more words brainstormed which felt perfect but which I decided not to use - as I added more, the effect started to fade, and it started to feel like just a list of jumbled words. It was difficult to get a balance that felt right and still seemed to carry some meaning. Where and how and even whether to punctuate also took some time and thought. Did I get it right?

Dragonfly

Delicate winged
darter, dipping,
dashing, diving.
Splendid, suspended
unfolding dream.

Diligent endeavour;
dynamic adventure.

Deeper delight
untangled serendipity -
uncomplicated desire;
confident dignity.

Endless gratitude.




The photo can't do justice to the amazing colour of these creatures. This one has an almost lavender shimmer over a silvery sky blue.

Today's Poetry Friday is hosted by Suzanne from Adventures in Daily Living.

6 comments:

Steff said...

i love the poem- although the last line left me a bit confused

Myth said...

That was referring back to me in a kind of count your blessings way. Hmmm... I will think on it for a while - it may be better without it!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I like the poem very much and I got the leap to gratitude. Maybe you just need to add something that connects your response to the dragonfly's darting beauty.

Anonymous said...

I love the sounds and rhythm, especially in the first two stanzas. Thanks for sharing!

tess said...

I hear the drums beating... nice job.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, I like it. The "d" sound really comes through. I think the omnipresence of a letter comes through much more strongly than the absence of a letter -- a poetic strength. "Splendid, suspended" is my favorite phrase.