Inspiration


We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.
[Marianne Williamson]



Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Writer's Digest

3 am. Startled from a sound sleep by a strange noise. Check the baby. No problems there. Monitor light flashing reassuringly in time with his breathing. He is sound asleep. Whatever woke me hasn't been repeated. Maybe I dreamt it. I am just dozing off when it happens again. *Scre-e-e-e-e-eech* What on earth? It's coming from the wardrobe! Maybe it's a rat. It doesn't sound like a rat. Maybe it's a rat that's mutated after eating some long-forgotten lollies it found in the pocket of one of my winter coats. Maybe it's the ghost of a rat that died after being trapped with the stench of my old shoes. Maybe it's a mutant ghost rat with huge, sharp, white... no... yellow teeth, and glowing red eyes glaring out at me through the keyhole. Ok, that's enough. I'm just scaring myself. It sure is dark in here. I wish there was a moon tonight. 3:10. Now it's scritching. Scritching and screeching. I'm going to have to do something or it will wake the baby... or worse... Yup. I'm going to have to do something about it. But what? What am I going to do? I can't just lie here and listen. I wish it would stop. I wish it would go away. Give hubby a tentative shake. Maybe I can delegate responsibility. He just rolls over and snores so that I can hardly hear the scritching. But it's still there. *Scrre-e-ech* OK. It's getting louder. Better go get a torch. The hallway is cold. Much colder than the bedroom. And dark. I wish I didn't feel like something might sneak up behind me. Phew, here's the torch. It's a bit dim. I hope the batteries don't run out. I should save them until I need them. Nice to be back in the warm bedroom. Baby's still asleep. Husband's still asleep, worse luck. Wardrobe's still scritching and screeching. My hands are sweaty. Wipe them on my nightie. I don't want to drop the torch. Now then, deep breath. Turn on the torch. Grab the handle of the wardrobe with my other hand. Oh, I really don't want to do this. Open it quickly. Maybe I can take whatever's in there by surprise...

(Ooops. Sorry folks. David just woke up - great timing - so I gotta hit publish and run... if you know what's in there, you're welcome to finish this for me ;P)

1 comment:

Myth said...

sorry to leave you all dying of suspense :P Just been super busy suddenly...

realised less than two weeks until residential school at uni and I have 58 documents still to read, 12000 words to write and a 30 minute speech to prepare before I get there *gulp*

I keep writing the rest of this story in my head & will finish it soon, I promise! though the invitation is still open if anyone has their own twist in mind...